Site Network: Debate This, Ole Miss. | the j-department | debate.olemiss.edu | mblog | mcast | the university of mississippi

This is actually my first time blogging.  I've heard a lot about it, but was never really interested in taking part in the blogging society.  Not that there's anything wrong with it.  It's just that as a child growing up in the country, I, as well as my siblings were encouraged to keep our opinions to ourselves.  Funny how time brings about a change.  Not only do I get to have an opinion and share it with friends and family, but I get to put it online for the whole world to see.  So here I am - blogging.  I'll admit, at first I didn't know exactly where to start.  I mean, there's so much to talk about.  To help me out, I took a peek at what some of my fellow bloggers were blogging about.  Wow!  A lot of people have taken interest in the current presidential election.  What impressed me the most about that fact is the amount of people my age and younger who have gotten involved in not only the election, but the debates as well.  And they're even following the news and keeping up with everything going on concerning the election of their next president.  I was in the union at the University two nights ago sitting in front of the television doing my homework (homework on the first day of school, yikes!!).  One of the bushy haired, energetic lads asked me if I were watching what was on the television and I told him no.  It was a reality show and not a very tasteful one.  He grabbed the remote and I just knew that he was going to turn it to MTV, or "Friends", or maybe even "Law and Order" or something like that.  He didn't.  With precision as smooth and effortlessly as a sewing machine, he grabbed the remote and turned it to one of the many debates that was airing that night.  They all cozied down on pasty couch and engagingly watched the program as though they were back at home eating popcorn while watching their favorite T.V. show.  As I watched them watch the debate, I could see the fire in their eyes as they glowed with excitement.  I've been seeing that same excitement in the eyes of a lot of teens and tweens and even in myself.  For the first time - in a long time - America's youth are actively taking part in American Politics.  And I don't mean by just going out to the polls and voting.  But by following the debates and campaign trials, glued to the news, frequently discussing politics among each other.  It's amazing.  But the question that kept looming around my brian is the all to common, one word question that we learn as an infant - "WHY?"  Why has we, America's youth, finally taken up so much stock in this Presidential Campaign?  Well, I think the answer is simple - "CHANGE".  

0 comments:

Post a Comment