Site Network: Debate This, Ole Miss. | the j-department | debate.olemiss.edu | mblog | mcast | the university of mississippi

Mr. President!!

November 4, 2008….a day that I will forever remember. I will remember where I was, who I was with, what my sentiments were. But more than anything, I will remember the feelings of awe, pride, and sorrow. I had no doubt in my mind that our new President-Elect, Barack Obama, could take this election. However, it still was not real until I saw the words flash across the CNN screen. And at that moment, my heart filled up and bubbled over with excitement. While November 4th was a historic day because we elected our first African American president, I hope America can see that it was so much more than that. People of all races, nations, backgrounds, and social status united for a few moments in time to elect a new leader. Children of both genders and all backgrounds will grow up with the realization that they really can achieve anything they put their mind too.
After leaving an election watch party, I journeyed to the Square for a quick celebration. It was there that I noticed the long faces of some obvious McCain supporters. While listening to the coverage and talking with friends, I was asked by a McCain supporter who I voted for. Upon replying, Barack, the guy yells…Are you Crazy?! Not even for thirty minutes could I fully enjoy the moment of having voted in such a historic election for a man and family who stands for so much.

While I could write all day about my emotions and what President Obama stands for, I will leave you with just a few thoughts. First, I hope people look not just at the fact that an African American man is president, but that a new man has taken office. I hope that the American people hold Obama to his promises and polices and notice that it will take time to clean up the mess that has been left. Oprah summed it up best with her quote, “I feel that anything is possible.” I was sent an email this morning with an insert from Judges 4:4-6. This moment was written, history has been made. Regardless to whether you are Red or Blue, it is time for us to work with our new president in order to rebuild an America that we can all be proud of!

0 comments:

Post a Comment